Having recently entered the ever-changing world of pay-per-click (PPC) marketing, there is one concept that I feel every fresh faced PPC-er must understand: the importance of relevance.
I know relevance sounds like a very simple concept, but it has a huge impact on the success of a PPC account. The keywords in the ad group must be relevant to the ad copy. The ad copy must be relevant to the landing page.
It is very intuitive if you think about it. If the customer sees an ad that is not relevant to their search query, they are simply not going to click on it. Furthermore, if the keywords are relevant to the ad copy but the ad copy is not relevant to the landing page, they are going to immediately leave the site and not convert. Everything within an account must be consistent and relevant in order to see conversions.
Tips on how to increase your relevance:
- Group Campaigns by common theme, product or service
- Group keywords into ad groups as precisely as possible
- Tailor ad copy to match the ad groups and the keywords within those ad groups (different ad copy should be written for each ad group)
- Insert keywords from the ad group into the ad copy
- Insert a call to action into the ad copy (“learn more”, “get information”, “buy now”) so the consumer knows what to expect after they click
- Add a benefit to the consumer in the ad copy (some type of promotion, sale or pricing details)