<< by Lauren Kade on March 22nd, 2011
After a delicious networking lunch, I’m now attending “Introduction to Information Retrieval on the Web” with Mike Grehan, Chair of the SES Advisory Board. This sounds like a fascinating session about the ins and outs of how search engine crawlers gather and index information.
Information Retrieval vs. Data Retrieval
- Data retrieval provides a solution to a user of a database solution.
- An information retrieval system must interpret the document contents and rank them according to relevance.
How Search Engines Work
- Crawlers follow links and collect text.
- They only have a very small influence over page ranking.
- It’s possible to achieve a #1 ranking in Google without having your site crawled.