<< by on November 18th, 2009
Believe it or not it’s time to start wrapping up 2009 and get prepped for an exciting 2010! So what does that mean for you and your pay per click advertising (PPC) accounts? It means it’s time to start checking off you end of the year to do list. To help you out, here’s a list of PPC To Dos before you go toasting champagne and screaming “Happy New Year!!!”
- Review With The Client: Sure you review your monthly progress with the client, but now it’s time to step back and look at the bigger picture. It’s time to ask:
- What happened over the course of many months or if you’re lucky, over the course of many years?
- Were there events that caused tremendous PPC success? Why was there so much success?
- Were there events that caused the PPC account to decrease in it’s success/ slump? How can you avoid this slump in the coming year?
- Determine If The PPC Goals Are The Same: After reviewing the previous PPC account performance it’s time to start looking to the future. Talk with the client, are their PPC goals that same as last year? Perhaps they were interested in driving traffic in 2009, is it time to graduate to driving conversions in 2010? Whether it be signups, downloads, or purchases, implementing conversion tracking can greatly help you as an agency prove your success.
- Review Your PPC Keywords To Determine Relevancy: It’s time to go back through your entire account and make sure that your keywords are still relevant to your overall goal. Are there any keywords that are no longer relevant? Are there keywords that haven’t received a single impression over the past year? Are you missing any keyword clusters now that your PPC goals may be different?
- Assess Your PPC Negative Keywords: If you’ve been adding negative keywords to your PPC account all year long, congratulation! You’re one step ahead of most PPC account holders. However, it’s always a good idea to go back through your list of negative keywords and make sure that they should all still be there as negatives. You might be surprised to find that some of your negative keywords overlap with keywords that you’ve started advertising on throughout the year.
- Determine Your PPC Share Of Voice: The final item to check off your PPC To Do list is determining your PPC Share of Voice, which may typically be found by running an impression share report. Are you at 100% impression share or share of voice? Most likely you aren’t, which means you have the ability to increase your impression share through increasing your PPC budget. Towards the end of the year is the best time to approach clients about increasing their PPC spend as they prepare their 2010 budgets.