<< by on November 17th, 2009
First and foremost, I’d like to thank @ReneeRevetta for doing all the research for this post. Thank you Renée.
Recently, @janetdmiller was scouring Google Images and came upon an abandoned blog belonging to one of our clients. I know what you’re asking yourself: How did Search Mojo not know about a client’s blog? For starters, our client didn’t even know about the blog; not to mention, the blog was located on the WordPress domain (for example: search-mojo.wordpress.com). This post is dedicated to individuals who also have their blog on the WordPress domain. For reasons why your blog should be located on the company domain or a company subdomain (for example: blog.search-mojo.com) refer to my preview post “5 Quick Tips to Make Sure Your Blog Is Helping Your Company Site“. Now here’s how to do it.
3 Steps To Move Your Blog From the WordPress Domain, To The Company Domain.
- Find the owner of the WordPress blog, have them login and go to the ‘Dashboard’.
- Click on ‘Settings’ on the bottom left and then click ‘domains’.
- Click ‘add domain for this blog’. Once you have typed in the new domain or subdomain (example: blog.search-mojo.com) you’ll need to verify it within the company domain (example: www.search-mojo.com). This means that you’ll need to coordinate with the company webmaster.
‘Domain Mapping’ Pricing
What? You thought WordPress offered this service for free??? Silly you. The ability to use a custom domain for your blog is referred to as a ‘Domain Mapping’ at WordPress and it is an upgrade. According to en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/
- Domain name registration + domain mapping costs 14.97 credits ($14.97) per year, per domain. *This is the cost if your company does not currently own the domain.
- Domain mapping for a domain (or subdomain) you already own costs 9.97 credits ($9.97) per year, per domain. *This is the cost if you’re following the steps in this blog.
If you’re still unable to get your WordPress blog on the company domain contact WordPress Support at en.support.wordpress.com/contact/.