<< by on October 8th, 2009
A lot of companies are jumping on the blog band wagon, but that doesn’t mean they’re doing it correctly and using the blog to its full advantage. Here are 5 quick tips to make sure that your company blog is helping your site.
- Use the Same Domain: This is many companies’ first blog mistake, don’t let it be yours. A company blog should have the same root domain as your company. This will help ensure that your site receives the search engine optimization (SEO) benefits of inbound links (links coming from a third party site to your blog). For all you brand people out there, you’ll also get the branding benefit by placing the blog on the company domain. There are two ways for your company blog to reside on the same domain as the company site.
- Use a Subdomain: For example, blog.search-mojo.com (obviously the preferred choice of Search Mojo) or
- Use a Directory: For example, www.search-mojo.com/blog
- Post Frequently: I can’t tell you how many blogs are started on a whim and have one or two posts before they are completely abandoned. Before starting a blog make sure your company has dedicated resources to maintain the blog and update it frequently. Your company should strive to post at least once per week.
- Give Some Link Love: Link lovin’ is easy. If you like what someone has to say, don’t be afraid to talk about it in a post and put a link back to the individual’s original post. You’ll find that if you link to others, others will be more likely to link back to you; hence the term link love.
- Write with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in Mind: An essential part of a good search engine optimization (SEO) campaign is adding keyword density to the content of your site. What better way to do that than in a blog? When writing about a topic or keyword that you’d like your company to rank well for in the search engines, make sure that you actually use the keyword in your post. You’d be surprised at how many bloggers write about a subject and only refer to the full subject once in the post. For example, if you are blogging about red tennis shoes, make sure that use the full phrase red tennis shoes throughout the post not just at the beginning.
- Create Quality Content: Tip #2 suggests that your company should dedicate resources to maintaining the blog before creating it. In addition, the blog team should develop a plan of how quality content will be created. This can be done by developing a list of events happening within the company’s industry, creating a schedule of future product launches that can be discussed, or even inviting industry thought leaders to be guest writers on the company blog (Search Engine Land is a great example of a blog that has many guest writers who create outstanding and up to date content). Whatever the content is make sure someone will want to read it and hopefully will want to link back to it.