<< by on July 17th, 2008
Domain Registrar Godaddy put .ME domains on sale and from all appearances on the Twitter stream no one left the sale happy. It appears that MANY people successfully paid for their domains and later, got E-mails from GoDaddy stating that in fact the domain they purchased was already taken and that a credit to the purchasers account would be forthcoming. Some, me included, received that message twice.
The fact that GoDaddy appears to have failed in delivering on the sale is one issue. But, the fascinating issue for me is how fast they got attacked and essentially dog piled in the Twittersphere. We are watching Tweet after Tweet come rapid fire on the words Goddaddy and .me on Twitter: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=godaddy.
So many people are talking about the burgeoning field of online reputation management. The realization from today is how FAST Godaddy would have to be in the age of Twitter to diffuse all of the negative comments about them. In the span of less than 5 minutes I received over 15 negative Twits about Godaddy’s failure to deliver on the domain sale.
My initial thoughts are if you are having an anticipated launch of a product or service, you need to have a company Twitter account at the ready. Then personally engage the complainers or even complimenters as the tweets come in with your message.
Then you could address these comments:
- Goddady is la.me
- My inbox is a frikkin MESS GoDaddy. And you have my money.
- godaddy glitch or permanent f*** up?
- GoDaddy Offers .Me Domain Names. It’s a Big .Fail So Far.
- godaddy blows chunks. Both registrations actually weren’t possible. Something they could have told me when I did the *availability* check!
- 200 errors back from godaddy on the .me registration so far, thanks for charging my cc first though ;-(
- Adding insult to injury, GoDaddy just sent me another set of FAIL emails for the .me’s I missed out on. Thanks for rubbing it in..
- damn you godaddy… the.me was MINE!
- I’m done with Godaddy… What are some other registrars?
- you’re the epito.me of suck, the epito.me of epic fail, the epito.me of design more like chunky bile than chunky bile itself
- now I’m getting 24 emails every couple of hours confirming that GoDaddy was unable to complete my domain registrations.
All of this may not even be GoDaddy’s fault. The .ME domain is supposedly for Montenegro and they could be totally at fault. The Point is someone from GoDaddy needs to online NOW telling people that or at least apologizing profusely. A press release tomorrow will not help. The damage is done and people are mad and getting madder by the second.
I’m just sitting back watching it happen and marvelling at how the business world is changing every second. Just now I got three more Twitter updates on the word Godaddy!