<< by on July 12th, 2007
After analyzing the typo adgroups and individual keywords, I realized the importance of really strapping on my work boots and digging through the various asundry keywords to determine their ultimate value to the campaign.
That’s not to say that I didn’t monitor my campaigns closely prior to last week. However, there’s always the danger of becoming complacent or resting on the merits of prior successes.
The ongoing battle with PPC management is continually finding new ways to slice the pie. Researching, analyzing and discovering a different direction for tweaking keywords and improving overall performance is a challenge. On the flip side, there is great reward (personally as well as for the client) in uncovering a new strategy.
I’m very thrilled this week to see the benefits from my in-depth study on the typo topic, not just with the example campaign, but with other clients as well.
With the example last week, the targeted typo had an average CPC of $1.17, and the overall AdGroup had a CPC of $0.90.
In the week since, the most expensive keyword in that AdGroup registered a $1.00 average CPC, while the AdGroup overall average CPC dropped to $0.59.
For the same term in my original (correctly spelled) AdGroup, the average CPC is running at $0.67 since last week. The advantage is clear: Take the typo traffic at a lower cost per click and save that much more budget for the rest of the campaign.
Over time, I’d certainly like to review a larger data set since the typo bids were changed just last week, but as the data accumulates I feel confident that this change is for the better.
You might find this free tool for finding keywords typos as useful as I did.